Northern Virginia Estate Planning Lawyers Effectuate Your Final Wishes
Compassion when making difficult decisions
Estate planning is the process of taking stock of what assets you have and deciding how you want these treated after your death. Estate planning allows you to carefully consider how you can protect the financial futures of your spouse, children and others after you are no longer here to protect them. However, it also takes into consideration your own needs and how a medical crisis or other situation will be dealt with. The experienced Northern Virginia estate planning attorneys at Altman & Associates rely on decades of experience and offer recommendations on how to effectuate your final wishes.
Recognizing the benefits of estate planning
Estate planning adopts strategies now to protect your assets later. Conscientious estate planning accomplishes many goals, including:
- Protecting personal assets from claims made against a business
- Minimizing tax liability
- Putting structures in place to provide for medical expenses or special needs
- Providing powers to trusted individuals in the event of a medical crisis or financial need
- Avoiding or minimizing probate reliance
Legal tools that protect your assets
It is imperative to seek competent legal counsel when planning your estate. Estate planning lawyers have the necessary knowledge and resources to take steps to protect your assets. Our experienced northern Virginia estate planning lawyers work with you on an individual basis to determine the most effective ways of protecting assets and making plans for the future. Some options may include:
- Establishing a trust – There are many types of trusts that are available that offer distinct advantages. Trusts can be established for Medicare planning, to provide inheritances for multiple generations, to provide charitable donations and to protect assets from creditors. Our experienced lawyers offer suggestions based on the particular needs of our clients.
- Forming a distinct legal entity for business needs – Protect your personal assets by clearly delineating business assets through a corporate structure.
- Establishing a business succession plan – We assist in creating a business succession plan in a tax-efficient manner. Possibilities include making gifts and recapitalizing funds during the owner’s lifetime, implementing strategies for inactive members of a business and structuring compensation accordingly and adopting prudent investment strategies.
- Creating a will – Your last will and testament is the cornerstone of your estate plan and should be prepared by a professional who knows which provisions to include to protect you, your family and your legacy.
- Preparing for medical needs – A healthcare proxy can be assigned to make medical decisions in a time of need.
Northern Virginia estate planning attorneys provide legal experience you can depend on
The Northern Virginia estate planning lawyers at Altman & Associates will tend to your final wishes by putting the necessary estate planning documents and strategies in place. You deserve to receive knowledgeable legal counsel from compassionate lawyers who care about your future. We are conveniently located in Northern Virginia. Schedule a consultation by calling us at (301) 468-3220 or contact us online.